Americold provides temperature-controlled warehousing and transportation to food producers, restaurants, schools and retail outlets such as grocery stores. We're proud to provide an essential link in the food and beverage industry supply chain, and to play our part in ensuring families across the US and overseas can sit down together to eat.
Based in Atlanta, Georgia, Americold owns and operates 155+ temperature-controlled warehouses in the United States, Australia, New Zealand, China, Argentina, and Canada. In North America we have over 11,000 associates and offer a wide variety of employment opportunities - from warehouse forklift operators and supervisors to accounting, customer support, engineering, transportation, and technology solutions positions.
The Americold Summer Internship is a 10-week program, beginning in May and ending in August. During this time, the Intern will gain knowledge about the business related to their assigned area (i.e. Distribution, Finance, Internal Audit, etc.) while simultaneously working on assigned projects and networking with organizational leaders, colleagues and peers.
Essential Functions / Areas of Learning include:
1. Learn fundamentals of warehouse and distribution management in these areas:
o Dock & Front Office processes
o Labor and transportation/labor matrix planning
o Appointment scheduling
o Inventory Control
Process Engineering & Improvement:
o Labor Standards
o Continuous Improvement
Leadership & Safety:
o Work with other leaders in coordinating and Shift leadership coordinating and watching all warehouse activities of an assigned work team on a shift basis by directing assigned employees in the receiving, warehousing, and shipping of customer product in a manner consistent with service and cost objectives
o Collaborate with teams and managers to assist in solving work-related issues
o Participate in all safety training
2. Participate in formal orientations/trainings and informal meetings with members of workforce from a variety of functions
3. Adhere to and insure compliance with all Company policies, as well as all Federal, State and Local OSHA regulations
4. All other duties as assigned
Qualifications/Additional Skills & Abilities:
• Current undergraduate students at Junior or Senior level with studies in the areas of Engineering, Supply Chain/Logistics, or Business Administration
• Prior intern and/or work experience internship
• Demonstrated leadership in work and/or academics
• Project management experience
• Strong written and verbal communication skills with the ability to interact comfortably at all levels of the organization including with senior level leaders
• Excellent technical skills including a strong command of Microsoft Office Suite (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, etc.)
• Ability to work in fast-paced, deadline-oriented, dynamic and changing environment
• Ability to pay close attention to detail
• Proven ability to juggle multiple tasks simultaneously
• Must possess a strong customer service orientation with high sense of urgency in meeting goals and deadlines
• Ability to influence and think creative and strategically
• Ability to analyze and problem solving
• Must be able to work flexible hours based on business needs (internships range from 20-40 hours per week)
• Must be able to commute to other facilities in the surrounding area and travel to our corporate office in the Atlanta, GA as needed
The physical demands described below are representative of those that must be met to successfully perform the essential functions of the job. Reasonable accommodation may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions of the job.
• Requires the ability to sit and standing for long periods of time, with frequent interruptions
• Requires several hours per day of sitting, getting up and down from chairs, and reaching, or bending
• Requires manual dexterity with normal hand and finger movements for typical office work
• Working environment is usually in a frozen distribution and /or office setting, temperatures at or below freezing
• Talking, hearing, and seeing are important elements of completing assigned tasks
• Requires the use of various electronic tools
• Requires the ability to relate to others beyond giving and receiving instructions: must partner with colleagues without exhibiting behavioral extremes
• Requires the performance of work activities including reasoning, negotiating, instructing, persuading, or speaking with others; and respond appropriately to constructive feedback from management
• Some local travel required
Americold is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer.
EOE/AA M/F/D/V DFW.